Police: Pakistani man raped teen boy at Pa. school
BETHLEHEM, Pa. - August 3, 2010 -- A Pakistani man visiting the U.S. on a student visa raped a teenage boy who was attending a summer workshop at a Pennsylvania community college, police said.
Muhammad Hanif, 25, admitted he raped the 16-year-old boy Saturday night in a dorm at Northampton Community College in Bethlehem, according to investigators.
In court documents filed Monday, police said the teen told officers he woke up and left his room to get a drink of water. Hanif invited him to sleep in his room and the boy fell asleep before waking up to find Hanif assaulting him, according to police.
Investigators interviewed Hanif, who allegedly admitted he attacked the boy and told police he thought the boy was gay.
Hanif was charged Saturday with felony counts of rape, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and sexual assault and other charges. He was being held on $200,000 bail. It was not immediately clear if he had a lawyer and he has no local address.
Hanif and the teen were both in the country on student visas, according to Bethlehem Township police Capt. George Boksan. Police have been in touch with the State Department, Boksan said.
Both students were attending summer programs at the community college, which is located about 50 miles north of Philadelphia.
Hanif and the alleged victim were attending different programs, according to Northampton Community College spokeswoman Sue Kubik.
Hanif's program was sponsored by the school and the teen was attending a program by another organization that had leased spaced from the school, Kubik said.
pennsylvania, northampton county, rape, local/state
- Crews race to find tornado survivors; 24 dead 13 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Local help on the way for tornado victims 12 min ago
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help 11 min ago
- Street-level interactive weather map
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del. 11 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- SUV crashes when dog gets stuck in steering wheel
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids 48 min ago
- Crews race to find tornado survivors; 24 dead
13 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos