Darts shot at Obama likeness at Pa. carnival
ALLENTOWN, Pa. - August 4, 2010 -- The head of an eastern Pennsylvania amusement company has yanked a carnival game in which players shot foam darts at an image resembling President Barack Obama.
Irvin Good Jr. pulled the target-shooting game after receiving a complaint from a patron attending a fair in Roseto, about 65 miles north of Philadelphia. Good said Wednesday his company, Hellertown-based Goodtime Amusements, won't offer the game again.
"It was just a big, big mistake in judgment, and I feel sorry about it," he said. "I can't take it back, but I can try to make it better."
The game, dubbed "Alien Attack," featured a large painted image of a black man wearing a belt buckle with the presidential seal and holding a scroll labeled "Health Bill." Players could win prizes by hitting targets on the image's head and heart.
Good said that he voted for Obama and that the game wasn't meant to encourage violence against the president. He said the image was conceived and painted by a staffer.
"He just drew it up, and that's the way it came out," Good said. "We didn't talk about it being political."
Good said he has not been contacted by anyone in law enforcement regarding the game.
The game was featured in late July at the Our Lady of Mount Carmel Big Time Celebration, an annual fair that raises money for the Roman Catholic parish in Roseto. A family attending the fair complained about the image to Good.
Goodtime Amusements has been in business for 26 years, operating carnival-themed fundraisers throughout the Allentown region.
The controversy over the game was first reported by The Express-Times of Easton.
pennsylvania, allentown, president barack obama, local/state
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes 23 min ago
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday 18 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents 22 min ago
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living 21 min ago
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt 28 min ago
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery 24 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 16 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 14 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
18 min ago
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire...
23 min ago
- Rescuers airlift horse out of Angeles...
12 min ago