Parents of duck boat victims talk
PENN'S LANDING - August 17, 2010 -- Parents of the two Hungarian students killed in the duck boat crash last month want answers and they have made their first trip to the United States to get them.On Tuesday, the families talked about the loss of their children and what they plan to do next.
The vicims' families arrived at JFK airport Monday night and visited the river earlier, leaving wreaths, one for Dora Scventner the other for Szabolc Prem. Their trip to Philadelphia was not just to file paperwork for their lawsuit, but to see with their own eyes where their only children lost their lives.
Through a translator the parents of 16-year-old Dora and 20-year-old Szabolc were at times at a loss for words when describing their children.
Dora's mother described her as a sweet, nice girl. And Szabolc's mother said she told everyone that if they had a child half as great as her son they would be lucky.
Dora and Szabolc had been part of a tour group from Hungary. They were on a Ride the Ducks tour boat anchored 150 feet from shore in the Delaware River due to technical problems, when it was hit by a tug and barge.
The families have since filed suit against the tour and the tugboat operators saying they hope to prevent something like this from happening again.
As the families visited the river they say a duck-boat came by, their attorney adding it was likely on a scout cruise but it was topped he says with the same canopy he calls dangerous, saying it cages passengers and kills them.
"But really an emotional shock to the families to be there in a 10-minute stretch to pay respect to their children and to be confronted with the instrument of their death," said Robert J. Mongeluzzi.
But the duck boat operator counters its pure speculation that a different canopy could have altered the tragic outcome adding that they're fully complying with the investigation.
Meanwhile the families say they've received a lot of letters and cards from the people of Philadelphia and they said it's provided them comfort knowing so many people care.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, duck boat accident, local/state, katherine scott
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect 32 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 1 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount? 8 min ago
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
32 min ago