Proposed airport expansion to bring jobs & and noise?
August 31, 2010 -- For years Philadelphia has said it needs to expand the airport to deal with chronic flight delays, Friday the FAA signaled it favors a plan what would see significant changes.A map of the plan shows the massive UPS facility would relocate from the south side to the northwest. That would make way for a 5th runway to be built along and actually extend into the river. Other runways would grow; a new commuter terminal would arrive along with a people mover.
The promise is tens of thousands of construction jobs and 3 thousand permanent jobs.
For proponents the expansion would mean more flights and more jobs but for some neighbors though there is a distinct downside when it comes to noise.
For decades jets have roared over Tinicum Township.
But the expansion will bring more than just additional noise to grow; the airport will need to buy and teardown buildings in Tinicum. It and Delaware County are embroiled in a federal court case challenging the legality.
"They are going to displace 72 homes, 85 business, there will be a tax effect on the Interboro school district of $1.8-million that they will lose in tax revenue because they displaced these businesses ," said Delaware County Council Chairman Jack Whelan.
Critics of the expansion say it's better if other airports, Atlantic City and Lehigh Valley grew instead. But Philadelphia argues growth there won't create new jobs here.
As government battles Tom Kenish is resigned his home will be torn down in the name of airport expansion, he would just like to know when.
"Everybody knows it's going to happen eventually, it's just when a lot of people want to fix up house do stuff, but don't know if its two years from now or 20 years."
Nothing will happen quickly, the most optimistic estimate is the $5-billion expansion would take 10 to 15 years to complete if it gets clearance to fly.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, air travel, air fare, philadelphia international airport, local/state, john rawlins
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 15 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 42 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 36 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge 34 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 54 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
36 min ago