Sergeant welcomed home in Stratford
STRATFORD, N.J. - September 3, 2010 (WPVI) -- There was applause in Stratford, New Jersey as Sgt. Evan Graham was welcomed home.
In one of many stops, his procession of fire trucks and motorcycles paused to admire a new town sign honoring Graham's return from his second tour of duty in Afghanistan.
"Overwhelming. I like it," Sgt. Graham said.
Before the hoopla kicked off, the sign was spruced up with balloons by the sergeant's mother. Cathy Graham said this past year had been hard.
"You don't know unless you're a parent. I mean, you're so overwhelmed, you just don't know how to say thank you to the neighbors and all the kind people and just that he's coming home and I'm a mom," Cathy said.
That love and relief was echoed by other family who showed up by Sgt. Graham's side.
"It feels great, I can't even explain, I'm so happy," Evan's sister Kim said.
"I'm ecstatic, it's been such a long period of time," Evan's father Edward said.
"It was tough that whole year. I was sick literally every single day, but it's amazing to have him back home now," Evan's fiancée Genna Cajio said.
After a final six months at Fort Bragg, Sgt. Graham intends to return to Stratford and make a civilian life as a police officer and volunteer firefighter.
"Two deployments, three Purple Hearts, I'm done," Evan said.
This weekend, Evan Graham will celebrate being back home and in two weeks, another big bash, when he gets married.
new jersey, local/state, tamala edwards
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect
- A Nice Stretch
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- 10-year-old Wilmington boy reported missing 27 min ago
- Mourning NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
- Maple syrup used to vandalize Pottstown church 30 min ago
- Award-winning journalist Michael Hastings dies 39 min ago
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in Whitemarsh Twp.
- Storms bring floods to the Jersey shore
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Death investigation leads police to home of Patriots TE
- James, Heat push NBA Finals to Game 7 59 min ago
- Maple syrup used to vandalize Pottstown...
30 min ago
- Award-winning journalist Michael Hastings...
39 min ago