Conditions in NJ ripe for brush fires
TRENTON, N.J. - September 8, 2010 (WPVI) -- Conditions are ripe for brush fires in New Jersey.
A red flag warning was in effect Wednesday for the central and southern parts of the Garden State.
The National Weather Service says it hasn't rained in almost two weeks. Even Hurricane Earl was a bust, bringing no measurable rain to the tri-state area.
Low humidity and high winds also add to the risk of fire.
"We're so dry now we have all of our units out on patrol. That means we have firefighters in our trucks to be ready to respond as soon as the call goes out," said NJ Fire Warden Bert Plante.
More than 6,000 acres have burned in New Jersey forests, which is 5,000 more than last year.
"Conditions are very conducive for large fires. Any fire that starts is going to spread very rapidly and is going to be hard to put out. It runs a very high risk of becoming one of our major forest fires," said Plante.
Sod farm owner Sam Alloway of Vincentown in Burlington County says the low humidity and wind suck the moisture out of plants.
"We grow grass, and the conditions this year have been terrible because of droughts. We irrigate, but we can't irrigate enough to keep the grass alive," Alloway said.
At around 7:00 p.m. Gloucester County firefighters were called to first douse, then hose down hot spots, at brush fires along route 55.
Fire crews hosed down at least three sections of scorched brush in the median of the highway.
There is no word on how the fires began.
Everyone is being asked to be extra careful - a discarded cigarette or an ember from a charcoal grill could provide the spark needed for a major brush fire.
brush fire, wild fire, fire, new jersey, local/state
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse 36 min ago
- Record Weekend Warmth 28 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland 29 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet? 35 min ago
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy 33 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Record Weekend Warmth
28 min ago
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater...
36 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos