Body found in Burlington Co. soccer field
SOUTHAMPTON TWP., N.J. - September 13, 2010 (WPVI) -- A woman's body was found in a soccer field on Monday morning in Burlington County.
The discovery was made in the Southampton Township field in an athletic recreation area where Buddtown Road and Route 206 meet.
It was around 10:30 a.m. when some public works employees went to a wooded area to retrieve some topsoil and found a body instead.
Those workers called police immediately.
The body, that of a woman who may be in her 20's, has not yet been identified.
Police are investigating and say the death is being treated as a homicide. Investigators say the body showed obvious signs of trauma.
The medical examiner was on the scene along with at least two dozen investigators from the state police, the county prosecutor's office, among other agencies.
The Southampton Township Recreation Association sent out an email earlier in the day cancelling all activities at the field for Monday evening. That was so police could continue their investigation without interruption.
new jersey, burlington county, body found, stabbing, homicide, nicole ayres, local/state
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Breezy And Mild! 11 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly 13 min ago
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Breezy And Mild!
11 min ago
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
13 min ago