Body found in Burlington Co. soccer field
SOUTHAMPTON TWP., N.J. - September 13, 2010 (WPVI) -- A woman's body was found in a soccer field on Monday morning in Burlington County.
The discovery was made in the Southampton Township field in an athletic recreation area where Buddtown Road and Route 206 meet.
It was around 10:30 a.m. when some public works employees went to a wooded area to retrieve some topsoil and found a body instead.
Those workers called police immediately.
The body, that of a woman who may be in her 20's, has not yet been identified.
Police are investigating and say the death is being treated as a homicide. Investigators say the body showed obvious signs of trauma.
The medical examiner was on the scene along with at least two dozen investigators from the state police, the county prosecutor's office, among other agencies.
The Southampton Township Recreation Association sent out an email earlier in the day cancelling all activities at the field for Monday evening. That was so police could continue their investigation without interruption.
new jersey, burlington county, body found, stabbing, homicide, nicole ayres, local/state
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ