Kadeja Walker, you're going to Disney World!
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - September 16, 2010 (WPVI) -- In North Philadelphia, a 17-year-old girl learned that her dream is about to be answered.
A stunned 17-year-old Kadeja Walker opened the lock on her front door of her North Philadelphia home and then squealed with delight as she was presented with a Minnie Mouse and a trip to Disney World.
The trip is complements of the Sunshine Foundation, which aims to answer the dreams of children who are chronically ill, physically challenged, or have been abused.
Kadeja has cerebral palsy and has never been to Disney World before.
"I just want to get on a plane and just go," Kadeja said.
6-year-old Alice Green, who recently came back from a Sunshine trip with her family, was there to show Kadeja the ropes and happy to share the highlights.
"I saw Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse and princesses," Alicia said.
Very carefully Kadeja opened the envelope that held the details of her five day trip. The $5,000 vacation includes accommodations, a rental car, and passes to three parks for her and her family.
"I want to see everything," Kadeja said.
Her mother proudly looked on and explained the courage her daughter shows each day.
"I was just overwhelmed. We never do things like this. If Kadeja is happy, I'm happy. She never complains about anything and she never gives into the fact that she's handicap," Barbara Walker said.
"Having this trip is a healing process; it helps the children emotionally, spiritually, psychologically, it boosts their confidence and it reminds them they're a kid regardless of their physical condition," Sandra Carr of the Sunshine Foundation said.
There was a lot of excitement and it's not long before they leave. The trip is in October and Kadeja's mother already has the days cleared by her principal. Disney is the parent company of 6abc.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state, katherine scott
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Drugs, $29K seized in raid at Rowan U. dorm 29 min ago
- Police search for missing Rider University student
- Coroner: Frat pledge died from head injuries 46 min ago
- Tennis coach charged with corruption of minors
- Police: Driver dies in crash after fleeing 2 others
- Arrest made after taxi carjacking in South Phila.
- Man arrested in car bomb plot at Kansas airport 7 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million
- Driver facing drug charges after crash with police cruiser 30 min ago
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought