The invasion of the stink bugs
CHADDS FORD, Pa. - September 20, 2010 (WPVI) -- Bed bugs aren't the only little critters making news these days. Stink bugs are back with a vengeance.
There have been many sightings lately of the ferocious looking nuisance. They've popped up mainly at homes and buildings as they try to find a warm place to hibernate.
Royal Pest Management let our cameras join them as they worked on a home in Chadds Ford.
"What we're doing is putting a barrier there so they are excluded from coming in," said Ertell Whigham.
However, environmental experts don't agree with using sprays to get rid of stink bugs - especially inside the home. They suggest sealing up cracks and crevices, and simply sweeping up or vacuuming them as fast as you see them.
Frank Apichella opted to kill one with his bare hands despite the fact of why they're called stink bugs.
"It doesn't stink bad at all," he said, before adding "Just kidding."
"My daughters keep me well-informed that they do stink, mommy don't crush stink bugs," said Kristin.
And if they've been annoying in the past, they'll be even more annoying this year because experts expect a surge in the population.
Since it was such a hot year, it's possible they had two generations which would double their population," said Linda Barry who is a master gardener.
pennsylvania, stink bugs, local/state, shirleen allicot
- Drexel student found dead in sorority house 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Video: Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
20 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos