Two men shot by Phila. police identified
POINT BREEZE - September 24, 2010 (WPVI) -- Authorities are investigating two police-involved shootings in less than 12 hours in Philadelphia.
The most recent happened around 7:30 a.m. Friday in the 1400 block of 21st Street in the Point Breeze section.
Police say 42-year-old Kevin Rex scuffled with two officers serving a protection of abuse order obtained by his mother.
During the struggle, Rex allegedly tried to pull one of the officer's guns, and that's when he was shot in the stomach.
He's in critical condition at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
Meanwhile, a man was shot and killed by police late Thursday night following a foot pursuit.
That incident happened along the 5100 block of Charles Street in the Frankford section shortly after 10:15 p.m.
The male suspect, 21-year-old Tyree Quiah was shot after a gun battle with another man, police said.
As police arrived, he allegedly refused to drop his weapon and tried to flee - that's when he was shot and killed.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, point breeze, frankford, shooting, police, local/state
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run