Reward offered in hit-and-run death of boy, 2
PHILADELPHIA - September 27, 2010 (WPVI) -- Two separate hit and run cases end with two children hospitalized and another dead. Now, a reward is being offered in one of the cases.
The Citizens Crime Commission is offering a $2,500 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the death of 2-year-old Derek Martinez.
Call 215-546-TIPS (8477) if you have any information.
Derek, along with his mother, 20-year-old Deone Leone, were hit around 8:30 p.m. Saturday in South Philadelphia.
Leone and her son were crossing the street near 6th Street and Washington Avenue on the way home from the grocery store when they were hit by the oncoming car just steps away from their home.
A witness told Action News the car was speeding down the street.
"I saw the lady and the kid about to walk the street, I saw a car just going by super fast and just ran over the lady," the witness said.
The witness said it was clear the driver knew he or she had hit someone.
"He was like stopping and starting, I saw his brake lights, so I guess he was trying to decide should he stop or not and next thing I know, he turned around that corner," the witness said.
The car is described as a late model 4-door silver Mercedes CLS with 19-inch chrome wheels and low profile tires. Police say it likely has front end damage.
Police are examining surveillance video taken from several cameras at the busy intersection.
Authorities are also looking for the driver who hit two boys, ages 11 and 13, who were riding bikes near Herbert and Horrocks in Northeast Philadelphia on Sunday night.
The children were transported to Saint Christopher's Hospital in critical condition.
Police want to find the driver and the car, believed to be a newer model black Dodge Charger with tinted windows and front-end damage.
hit and run, pedestrian struck, bicyclist struck, homicide, northeast philadelphia, south philadelphia, philadelphia, pennsylvania, david henry, sarah bloomquist, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ