New video released in fatal hit and run of child
PHILADELPHIA - September 30, 2010 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police have released new surveillance video in the fatal hit and run that claimed the life of a 2-year-old.
The Citizens Crime Commission is offering a $2,500 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the death of 2-year-old Derek Martinez.
Call 215-546-TIPS (8477) if you have any information.
Derek, along with his mother, 20-year-old Deone Leone, were hit around 8:30 p.m. Saturday in South Philadelphia.
Leone and her son were crossing the street near 6th Street and Washington Avenue on the way home from the grocery store when they were hit by the oncoming car just steps away from their home.
A witness told Action News the car was speeding down the street.
"I saw the lady and the kid about to walk the street, I saw a car just going by super fast and just ran over the lady," the witness said.
The witness said it was clear the driver knew he or she had hit someone.
"He was like stopping and starting, I saw his brake lights, so I guess he was trying to decide should he stop or not and next thing I know, he turned around that corner," the witness said.
The car is described as a late model 4-door silver Jaguar with 19-inch chrome wheels and low profile tires. Police say it likely has front end damage.
Police are examining surveillance video taken from several cameras at the busy intersection.
Authorities are also looking for the driver who hit two boys, ages 11 and 13, who were riding bikes near Herbert and Horrocks in Northeast Philadelphia on Sunday night.
The children were transported to Saint Christopher's Hospital in critical condition.
Police want to find the driver and the car, believed to be a newer model black Dodge Charger with tinted windows and front-end damage.
hit and run, pedestrian struck, bicyclist struck, homicide, northeast philadelphia, south philadelphia, philadelphia, pennsylvania, david henry, sarah bloomquist, local/state
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 35 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter 13 min ago
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose
- Video: Firefighters rescue puppy from sewer drain