Jury selection begins in murder of Philadelphia police officer
PHILADELPHIA - October 4, 2010 (WPVI) -- Jury selection begins today in the trial of a man accused of killing a Philadelphia police officer.
Scrugs is charged with first-degree murder. He could face the death penalty if convicted.
Officer Pawlowski responded to Broad and Olney in the city's Logan section back on February 13, 2009. Investigators say Rasheed Scrugs was trying to rob a cab driver, and then opened fire on Pawlowski and his partner as they arrived on the scene.
The taxi driver, Emmanuel Cesar, is the man who made the 911 call after a confrontation with Scrugs at Broad and Olney that night. Cesar previously testified in court that Scrugs said, "If you call the cops I will shoot you and the cops."
Mark Kline, Pawlowski's partner that night, told the court: "He looked at John and fired out of his right pocket. I saw a muzzle flash. John collapsed."
Officer Pawlowski soon died from three wounds from a .357 magnum.
The officer's wife was pregnant with their first child at the time of the murder.
John Pawlowki's father is a retired lieutenant. John's brother Robert, a corporal in police radio, was working when his brother was shot, and heard the call come in.
25-year-old police Officer John Pawlowski was assigned to the 35th district. He was the second from the 35th to be killed in the line of duty in just 15 months - and the seventh Philadelphia officer to be killed in less than three years.
police officer killed, police, shooting, homicide, north philadelphia, philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Health officials: Drexel student died from meningitis
- DeCoatsworth seeks to withdraw guilty plea
- Mistrial declared in Philly priest sex-abuse case 27 min ago
- 2 dead, others missing in NYC building explosion 24 min ago
- Montco student diagnosed with meningitis-causing infection 11 min ago
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment
- Fatal house fire in Coatesville, Chester County
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush...
25 min ago
- Montco student diagnosed with...
11 min ago