Saved from flood, Delco woman thanks rescuers
BOOTHWYN, Pa. - October 5, 2010 (WPVI) -- A Delaware County woman got to meet the men who saved her life. She was also allowed to reclaim items from the car that almost became her water-logged coffin.
Christine Pekala saw her little four-door Scion for the first time Tuesday since almost taking her last breath in it.
"It was the craziest thing in my life," Pekala said.
It was during the flooding early Friday Morning. Pekala was traveling down Bethel Road at Mill Road in Boothwyn when she hit the flood waters of the East Branch of Naaman's Creek. Seconds later, the car was spinning and water was over the windows.
"I remember thinking 'Calm down, find your handles, find your door handles, calm down," said Pekala.
Meanwhile, a police officer putting up a barricade spotted the car in the dark night. Boothwyn firefighters Dan Castagna, Jimmy Hallman, Jason Smith and others arrived on scene.
"The car was pinned up against those two trees," Hallman said, pointing to the location where the he found Pekala's vehicle.
"I remember feeling around and luckily, by the grace of God, I felt my passenger window and it still rolled down," said Pekala.
Firefighters say the current flowing there was nearly neck high. Christine was in the pitch dark, with nowhere to turn, so she grabbed on to little branches and, surprisingly, they held.
"As soon as we got on scene you could here her screaming, asking for help, begging for help," said Smith.
Using a 24 foot ladder, firefighters built a makeshift bridge to get to Christine's car.
"I just threw the bag probably to those bushes there, told her to grab it, turn away from us and we'll pull you in," said Hallman.
These volunteer firefighters are being humble about the rescue, but Christine says she's still shaken by it and will never forget the men who saved her life.
"I'm happy and I'm thankful," said Pekala. "I just want these guys to get the credit they deserve because I won't stop until they do."
pennsylvania, delaware county, flooding, water rescue, chad pradelli, local/state, chad pradelli
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 7 min ago
- Milder Monday 47 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 7 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 7 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 7 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Milder Monday
47 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
7 min ago