Police: 3 teens in stolen car open fire on officers
PORT RICHMOND - October 7, 2010 (WPVI) -- Police returned fire on three suspects after at least one of the teens shot at officers in Port Richmond.
It happened around 8:30 p.m. along the 2000 block of East Somerset Street.
Police say 24th district officers responded to a report of a person with a gun.
As officers arrived to the area, they spotted three males fitting the description in a gray Honda.
Police attempted to stop the car but the men, in their attempt to flee, struck the police cruiser.
The teens attempted to bail from the car with at least one of them firing at police.
One of the officers returned fire, striking all three teens.
One bolted out of the car, while the other two, ages 16 and 18, were captured by police.
The 16-year-old was shot in the face. The 18-year-old was shot in the lower leg.
The two were rushed to Temple University Hospital for treatment. Both are stable and expected to recover.
The third teen made his way to a grassy area about 5 blocks away, but was caught with the help of a canine unit in the area of the 2700 block of Frankford Avenue. He was also taken to Temple for treatment after being grazed in the shoulder.
"Just the fact that you have 3 suspects carrying a handgun in a stolen vehicle just goes to show what types of individuals these are, they don't have any regard for the law," Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small said.
The gun used by the suspects was recovered.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, shooting, police, katherine scott, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington 19 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 54 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls 45 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
54 min ago