Spooked horse rescued from mud in NJ
LOWER TOWNSHIP, N.J. - October 12, 2010 (WPVI) -- A horse that was apparently spooked by overnight thunderstorms got loose in Cape May County. The good news is, rescuers were able to track the animal down.
However, things got a little stickier from there.
The two-year-old horse, named Conrad, got stuck in the mud in Lower Township.
"At 10:00 I got the call that he didn't come in and we had a search party out through all the woods," said Conrad's owner Talia Piacentine.
It took firefighters from several local department, Conrad's owner and other rescuers to help free the horse.
Finally, around 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, Conrad was free.
"He was in trouble, been in there for a while. He just didn't have any energy to get out. He needed human intervention," said Terry Delvicario of the North Wildwood Fire Department.
"He was covered. At one point we were holding his head above water," said Piacentine.
"They assisted us keeping the horse calm, getting the strap around it, helping to get it out," said Chief Chuck McPherson of West Cape May.
Conrad is a Hanoverian Warm Blood boarded at Hidden Valley. It's a non-profit stable and riding academy that even rescues track dogs.
Conrad is now safe and sound after a 13 hour adventure.
new jersey, cape may county, animals, cathy gandolfo, local/state, cathy gandolfo
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 30 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight 28 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Trash truck overturns on Rt. 130 in Pennsauken 59 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown 57 min ago
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Photos: Royal family kicks off tour of Australia
- Freeze Warning overnight
28 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos