Sides work to avoid strike in Methacton schools
NORRISTOWN, Pa. - October 13, 2010 (WPVI) -- Both sides are holding last-ditch negotiations in an effort to avoid a teacher strike in the Methacton School District in Montgomery County.
Wearing union t-shirts, teachers gathered outside of the labor talks on Wednesday. If those talks are not successful, those teachers could be on the picket line by Friday.
Made up of bedroom communities, the recession has hit the Methacton School District hard. Home values have dropped, and a fact-finders report talks of unemployment among taxpayers.
The largest taxpayer, the Shannondell Retirement Community has applied for a tax reassessment, which could cost the district $500,000 per year.
The fact-finder recommended a four year contract in which teachers would pick up more medical costs and raises would average three percent a year.
The teachers overwhelmingly rejected it.
They argue, in part, that some in their ranks would get a far smaller increase.
"The teachers at the top will make 1.25% over a four year period," said Union President Diana Kernoph. "They took a hit the last time the economy was good."
There is some empathy for the teachers, who now start at $41,000 and level off at about $95,000.
"I feel bad for the teachers because, from my understanding, I heard the superintendent got a big raise," said resident Michelle Burns.
Other say, given the economy, the teachers are overreaching.
"The teachers are asking for way to much, especially in these times," said Jeff Kocher.
pennsylvania, montgomery county, teacher contract, school, john rawlins, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 26 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown 5 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 5 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases