West Chester company's link to Chile rescue
WEST CHESTER, Pa. - October 13, 2010 (WPVI) -- There's a very important link between the rescue in Copiano, Chile, and a company in West Chester, Pa.
John Hadfield has worked at Schramm for over 30 years and helped construct the hammer drill. He says in Chile, his coworkers began the effort by drilling a 6-inch hole, then a 12-inch one before expanding it to just over 2 feet, just wide enough to pull the miners to safety.
"We're the one who made it down there and it makes us all proud," Hadfield said.
Ed Breiner, the CEO of Schramm, says the rescue effort has been a whirlwind of emotions.
"First, its worry, the objective is to get the 33 miners out of harm's way. There are a lot of things that can go wrong in a 2,000 foot 28-inch bore hole," Briener said.
Those things include keeping the bore hole straight, synchronizing equipment and making sure it didn't break.
Breiner says his drill was brought in because of the speed at which it could move along the rescue operation.
Plus, the company has a widespread presence in the copper mining business of Chile.
"It's not a bore hole that anybody can drill. It takes some experience and it's something you only learn from experience, frankly," Breiner said.
Employees here say they'll enjoy a little of the spotlight for just a day. Then it's back to work building drills, not for rescues, but for exploration.
pennsylvania, west chester, chile, mine collapse, local/state, chad pradelli
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex 31 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Police: Pedestrian struck and killed in Bordentown, N.J. 51 min ago
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Police: Pedestrian struck and killed in...
51 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos