NJ getting 1 of nation's largest solar farms
PILESGROVE, N.J. - October 20, 2010 -- Officials are breaking ground Wednesday on a farm in southern New Jersey which will cultivate energy from the sun.
The Pilesgrove solar farm is to be among the biggest in the nation. Its sponsors believe it would be the largest in the Northeast.
It's scheduled to open next spring and would eventually have enough capacity to generate 20 megawatts of power. That's enough to run more than 5,000 homes.
The solar farm is being developed by a subsidiary of the power company Consolidated Edison, Inc., and Panda Power Funds, which is dedicated to increasing electric generating capacity.
energy, environment, new jersey, local/state
- 3 beach homes destroyed in Sea Isle City fire 15 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend 5 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 14 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist 2 min ago
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest