NJ getting 1 of nation's largest solar farms
PILESGROVE, N.J. - October 20, 2010 -- Officials are breaking ground Wednesday on a farm in southern New Jersey which will cultivate energy from the sun.
The Pilesgrove solar farm is to be among the biggest in the nation. Its sponsors believe it would be the largest in the Northeast.
It's scheduled to open next spring and would eventually have enough capacity to generate 20 megawatts of power. That's enough to run more than 5,000 homes.
The solar farm is being developed by a subsidiary of the power company Consolidated Edison, Inc., and Panda Power Funds, which is dedicated to increasing electric generating capacity.
energy, environment, new jersey, local/state
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm 5 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof. 24 min ago
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Man shot, killed on Kensington street 26 min ago
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
- South Street area restaurants damaged, burglarized
- Pope Francis 'Person of the Year'; popularity surges 9 min ago
- Stranded family found alive in Nevada
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial 12 min ago
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
5 min ago
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela...
12 min ago