Police: Charges pending in wrong-way I-95 crash
CHESTER, Pa. - October 29, 2010 (WPVI) -- Police say an elderly woman from Wilmington, Delaware has been interviewed by investigators for driving the wrong way on Interstate 95 in suburban Philadelphia, leading to a number of crashes.
The woman, an 84-year-old, was interviewed at her home, according to the Pennsylvania State Police. They say charges are pending.
Video obtained first by Action News shows an elderly woman cruising the wrong way in the southbound lanes of I-95.
Cars can be seen weaving out of her way trying desperately to avoid a head on collision.
At one point, she side swipes the center concrete barrier.
Action News viewer Tim Fleming shot the video on his phone while traveling in the northbound lanes.
"It was crazy, man, I thought I was going to see people die, I seriously thought I was going to see people die," Fleming said.
He began following the blue older model Buick station wagon doing everything he could to alert her.
In the video, his phone shakes as he waves his arm.
"I saw cars swerving around her, she wouldn't stop and I yelled at her again I waved my arm at her again. She waved at me leave me alone," Fleming said.
Fleming said he was going 45 to 50 miles per hour and the woman was probably doing the same.
Pennsylvania State Police say the out of control driver caused at least 4 accidents, including one driver who slammed into a bridge overpass.
No one was seriously hurt.
It's unclear if the woman knew she was going the wrong way, but she eventually stopped and got off I-95.
pennsylvania, chester, delaware county, accident, chad pradelli, local/state
- Crews race to find tornado survivors; 24 dead
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc 49 min ago
- Local help on the way for tornado victims
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help
- Street-level interactive weather map
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del.
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos