Man found after hotel fire was beaten, strangled
CENTER CITY - November 2, 2010 (WPVI) -- Police have postponed this afternoon's scheduled news conference, where they had planned to provide an update on a murder at the Omni Hotel in Old City.
The press conference will be rescheduled for another date and time.
The body of Patrick Brady, 49, of Thorndale, Chester County, was found in the Omni Hotel after the Saturday morning fire.
Action News has learned that Brady worked in the IT Department at Thomas Jefferson Hospital, and would often stay in a hotel when work required him to be in the city.
The manager said Brady had been a guest of The Omni before.
Investigators have obtained surveillance video from the hotel to determine if Brady was with anyone before his death.
Firefighters were called around 10:18 a.m. Saturday to the blaze on the eighth floor. The fire was quickly extinguished and contained to the hotel room.
"The fire was probably set to cover up the homicide. That's not all that unusual in cases like that," said Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey.
There is no word yet on the identity of a suspect.
Sources tell Action News Brady's wallet was missing, but homicide investigators have not determined if robbery was the motive.
Brady leaves behind a wife and 9-year-old daughter.
At his home in Thorndale, neighbors were stunned.
"The neighborhood absolutely adores him. He brought lots and lots of laughter into our lives. We are very saddened by this tragedy," said Laura Bivona.
"He was really a good friend, a great neighbor, a great man. We're going to miss him," said neighbor Mike Brown.
In a statement, Thomas Jefferson Hospital said that staff was "saddened" by Brady's passing and their hearts and prayers go out to his family.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, center city, fire, homicide, dann cuellar, local/state
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos