Firefighters battle smoky fire in NJ marshland
EDISON, N.J. (AP) - November 3, 2010 -- Firefighters are battling a smoky wildfire in a marshy area along the Raritan River in central New Jersey.
he fire has burned more than 100 acres of marsh grass near the Raritan Center industrial park in Edison Township.
Middlesex County Emergency Management spokesman Rob Sklans said the fire was reported at about 3:45 p.m. Wednesday.
Sklans said about 100 firefighters from Edison and surrounding towns and the New Jersey Forest Fire Service were working to contain the blaze. By 7:30 p.m., Sklans said it was about 25 percent contained.
Much of the area is inaccessible to vehicles, which has hampered the firefighting effort.
No structures were immediately threatened and no injuries have been reported.
new jersey, brush fire, local/state
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy 23 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Laundromat robbed in Cedarbrook 22 min ago
- Carjack suspect in custody in SW Phila.
- Driver crashes into police cruiser in Wilmington 41 min ago
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Video: Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
23 min ago