Firefighters battle smoky fire in NJ marshland
EDISON, N.J. (AP) - November 3, 2010 -- Firefighters are battling a smoky wildfire in a marshy area along the Raritan River in central New Jersey.
he fire has burned more than 100 acres of marsh grass near the Raritan Center industrial park in Edison Township.
Middlesex County Emergency Management spokesman Rob Sklans said the fire was reported at about 3:45 p.m. Wednesday.
Sklans said about 100 firefighters from Edison and surrounding towns and the New Jersey Forest Fire Service were working to contain the blaze. By 7:30 p.m., Sklans said it was about 25 percent contained.
Much of the area is inaccessible to vehicles, which has hampered the firefighting effort.
No structures were immediately threatened and no injuries have been reported.
new jersey, brush fire, local/state
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion 36 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 55 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 26 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
26 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos