Girl banned from school dance over breast cancer bracelets
EASTON, Pa. - November 3, 2010 (WPVI) -- There is a battle over bracelets in the Easton Area School District and it has nothing to do with fashion.
The Easton Area School District could face a lawsuit over its decision to ban breast cancer awareness bracelets.
12-year-old Kayla Martinez was told to remove her bracelets because school officials say the wording contains obscenities, violating the dress code.
Kayla and several others refused and were given detention.
Kayla continues to wear the bracelets and has now been informed she has been banned from the upcoming Middle School formal dance.
Kayla's family supports her stance because she does it in memory of her aunt who recently died of complications from breast cancer.
They say it's a statement on behalf of an important issue and not vulgar at all.
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Warmer Weekend 41 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- SEPTA spreads holiday cheer with toy drive
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Fmr. Montco GOP chairman to stand trial for rape 43 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Dealer charged with selling Sandy damaged cars 27 min ago
- Bishop McDevitt HS student robbed at gunpoint
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ 59 min ago
- Gov. Christie signs immigrant tuition bill
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 35 min ago
- Warmer Weekend
41 min ago
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
59 min ago