Girl banned from school dance over breast cancer bracelets
EASTON, Pa. - November 3, 2010 (WPVI) -- There is a battle over bracelets in the Easton Area School District and it has nothing to do with fashion.
The Easton Area School District could face a lawsuit over its decision to ban breast cancer awareness bracelets.
12-year-old Kayla Martinez was told to remove her bracelets because school officials say the wording contains obscenities, violating the dress code.
Kayla and several others refused and were given detention.
Kayla continues to wear the bracelets and has now been informed she has been banned from the upcoming Middle School formal dance.
Kayla's family supports her stance because she does it in memory of her aunt who recently died of complications from breast cancer.
They say it's a statement on behalf of an important issue and not vulgar at all.
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested 18 min ago
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Is it time for smart watches?
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew...
18 min ago
- Shelter Me: Voorhees Animal Orphanage
9 min ago