Girl banned from school dance over breast cancer bracelets
EASTON, Pa. - November 3, 2010 (WPVI) -- There is a battle over bracelets in the Easton Area School District and it has nothing to do with fashion.
The Easton Area School District could face a lawsuit over its decision to ban breast cancer awareness bracelets.
12-year-old Kayla Martinez was told to remove her bracelets because school officials say the wording contains obscenities, violating the dress code.
Kayla and several others refused and were given detention.
Kayla continues to wear the bracelets and has now been informed she has been banned from the upcoming Middle School formal dance.
Kayla's family supports her stance because she does it in memory of her aunt who recently died of complications from breast cancer.
They say it's a statement on behalf of an important issue and not vulgar at all.
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 22 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet 49 min ago
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
22 min ago