Man dies in Wilmington, Del., after use of Taser
WILMINGTON, Del. - November 4, 2010 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police say they are investigating the death of a man after a Taser gun was used on him.
40-year-old Eugene Allen and his girlfriend had left the Fairview Inn on South Market Street when he began darting back and forth across the street just after midnight.
His mother Shirley Miller talked to him over the phone shortly before he died.
"They were doing drugs, they must have done something that got a hold of him," Shirley said.
Delaware State Police arrived to see the two standing on the median. His girlfriend complied with orders to get off the road. By all accounts, Allen did not.
"The subject became agitated, combative, and continued resisting arrest," Delaware State Police Sgt. Paul Shavack said.
A struggle with police ensued and a trooper deployed his Taser.
Two more troopers arrived, but Allen continued resisting arrest.
Police say Allen was Tased again.
This time he was handcuffed, but soon after, troopers realized Allen had gone into cardiac arrest and they began administering CPR.
He was pronounced dead around 1:15 a.m. at Christiana Hospital.
So far, police say it appears the officers followed protocol.
Allen's loved ones aren't so sure.
"There were enough officers that they could have used physical force and held him down and restrained him. They did not have to Tase him," his girlfriend said.
"He didn't have a weapon; I think they Tased him too much," Allen's mother said.
"We sympathize with the family. We know it was a tragic event. If we can do anything for the family we'd like to know," Shavack said.
As per department policy, all three officers involved in the incident have been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation from the State Police and the Attorney General's office.
taser, stun gun, delaware, katherine scott, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 18 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester 38 min ago
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ