Woman, 86, cited for going wrong-way on highways
MEDIA, Pa. - November 4, 2010 (WPVI) -- Police say an 86-year-old woman will be cited for driving the wrong way on two Pennsylvania highways.
Margaret Lazor, 86, of Wilmington, Delaware will be charged with summary traffic violations.
According to investigators, Lazor became lost October 28th and ended up going the wrong way on Route 322. Since 322 connects to I-95, she continued going the wrong way, driving north in the southbound lanes.
Video of the incident obtained by Action News showed her 1993 Buick Station Wagon driving the wrong way at a high rate of speed on I-95 in the area of Highland Avenue in Delaware County.
Police say it is unknown exactly where Lazor entered Rt. 322 or where she exited I-95.
Two days later, officers obtained information on her identity and interviewed her at her home.
Investigators say it has been requested that Delaware authorities ensure Lazor is retested regarding her ability to properly operate a motor vehicle and retain her driver's license.
If she passes, she can continue to drive.
They say they couldn't come up with more serious charges, because there was no evidence of criminal intent.
Delaware licenses are issued for five years and seniors are not required to be retested.
Neighbors are glad Lazor won't be facing criminal charges.
Lazor will not have to appear in court.
She'll get a ticket in the mail and can simply pay the fine if she pleads guilty.
pennsylvania, chester, delaware county, accident, chad pradelli, david henry, local/state
- Delco school on lockdown amid standoff 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 55 min ago