Toys for Tots kicks off 2010 campaign
LINDENWOLD, N.J. - November 4, 2010 (WPVI) -- The Marines and Toys R Us are making spirits bright this holiday season.
They kicked off the Toys for Tots campaign today.
"It wouldn't be fair for some of them to get presents and some of them to get nothing. They're all good inside so they should get presents," explained Jyvon Roberts of Lindenwold, N.J.
Eleven year old Jyvon Roberts said it all. Every child deserves a present for Christmas.
The U.S. Marine Corp kicked off their annual Toys for Tots drive at area Toys R Us store on Thursday.
It is a personal mission for one veteran in Deptford, New Jersey.
"When I look at the abundance my grandchildren have, it makes me sad. Children have nothing to do with politics or anything else, and they don't deserve to wake up on Christmas morning without something there for them," said Toys for Tots coordinator Bill Harkins.
Now through December 5th, drop off any new or unwrapped toy. Toys R Us cashiers will also take monetary donations through Christmas Eve.
"Last year alone, we pulled in over $3.4-million in donations as a company, and customers donated over 335,000 toys on location. So it's just a wonderful thing and a great way for us to help out," said Toys R Us manager Brad Meyer
Over the past 17 years, nearly 3 million toys have been donated at Toys R Us stores. And the neat thing about this program is that the money you give and the toys that you pick up stay local. So that means that you are literally helping a neighbor in need.
"During the holiday season especially, there are so many children that are out there in need. It's just the right thing to do," said customer Nancy Ipri.
marine corps, toys, new jersey, christmas, holidays, local/state, karen rogers
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 59 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station... 41 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- Video: Would-be firebomber sets self on fire 54 min ago