Veterans Day in Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA - November 11, 2010 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia's annual Veterans Day ceremony takes place at Washington Square.
It is a park where an unknown number of bodies, some of them troops from the Revolutionary War, remain underground, unidentified.
It is a park with a constant flame of remembrance, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
"Korean veterans, Vietnam veterans, Marines, Army, Air Force, everybody [is here]. My father was a vet, my grandfather was a vet," veteran Pat Love said.
District Attorney Seth Williams showed up at the ceremony in his fatigues; the city's top prosecutor is also a member of the Army Reserve.
"I'm proud to be here with all these veterans, from World War II, and Korea, and Vietnam that are here, just to show my support and thanks to them," Williams said.
Veterans Day was established back in 1926 to honor all who have served whether they made it back home or not, which brings us to the ceremony that took place at the Korean War Memorial in Philadelphia.
A large gathering, veterans and non-veterans, honored and paid tribute, particularly to the local soldiers who served in Korea, and were not able to return home to receive their thanks.
Charles Jones still carries a picture of his brother, Frank, who left to fight in Korea many decades ago and is presumed dead.
"He was fantastic. He was a boxer, he was a diamond belt fighter before he went in, and he was MIA, they never found him," Jones said.
Frank's memory lives on through the living veterans and volunteers, who work to make sure this day remains special, and is never ignored.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, veterans, seth williams, local/state, matt o'donnell
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote 11 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos