51st Veterans Day Parade in Media
MEDIA, Pa. - November 11, 2010 (WPVI) -- Hundreds of folks lined the streets of downtown Media, Delaware County to celebrate the 51st annual Veterans Day Parade.
5-year-old Henry Hooper's father is in the Marines. His mom flew in the Air Force.
Every year the little patriot and his Newtown family are on the front lines of the annual parade.
Mom Andrea says service runs through his blood.
"He's already inspired and understands what it means to have integrity and to fight for something greater than ourselves," Andrea said.
While the economy has put a damper on many local parades, Media's line of march was longer than ever this year.
Flags, big and small, lined the route, especially where Jeff Stevens and his group were gathered.
Almost everyone in his family has served our country, so he says he knows how important this kind of support is.
"I remember the vets coming home from Vietnam. They weren't treated very well; I want to make sure that doesn't happen again," Stevens said.
Today's parade salutes what is called "the Greatest Generation" of men and women to serve our country. Both Grand Marshals are WWII veterans and they say it is even more important to recognize the next generation of armed forces.
"So many people died and they continue to die. Something has to be done. We have to find some other way than war as a way of life on planet Earth," Grand Marshal Bill Fili said.
Fili was a Prisoner of War and says it's his duty to pass on his passion for freedom.
During this time of war, folks say those fighting overseas are fresh on their minds.
"There are still a lot of them over there yet. They volunteered to go over there and I'm proud of them," Navy Veteran Jess Tyson said.
pennsylvania, media, delaware county, local/state, alicia vitarelli
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- 1 person injured in Hamilton Twp. house fire
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos