Marathoners take the streets of Philadelphia
CENTER CITY - November 21, 2010 (WPVI) -- It was a picture perfect day for the 17th annual Philadelphia Marathon and Half Marathon.
Nearly 20,000 runners set off from 22nd Street and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway just after 7:00 a.m.
Some were running for good causes, like Mary Pat Kessler of Abington, Pa.
"I donated my kidney 2 years ago to my sister, who is a diabetic. So I'm running for organ donor awareness and for good exercise," Kessler said.
Dan Vassallo, of Massachusetts won the men's division with a time of 2:21:38 (h:m:s).
Mariska Kramer of the Netherlands won the women's division with 2:38:55, nearly 8 minutes faster than last year's winner.
The winner of the men's half marathon was Kiprotich Kirui, 25, of Kenya, covering the 13.1-mile course in a time of 1:04:02. Hirut Mandefro, 25, from Ethiopia, won the women's event in 1:17:52.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 17 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion
- Video: Raw video from scene of NYC explosion
- Delco 2nd grade teacher charged with assault 8 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 33 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection 44 min ago
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 41 min ago
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 40 min ago
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 57 min ago
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 31 min ago
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush...
57 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
33 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with...
44 min ago