Marathoners take the streets of Philadelphia
CENTER CITY - November 21, 2010 (WPVI) -- It was a picture perfect day for the 17th annual Philadelphia Marathon and Half Marathon.
Nearly 20,000 runners set off from 22nd Street and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway just after 7:00 a.m.
Some were running for good causes, like Mary Pat Kessler of Abington, Pa.
"I donated my kidney 2 years ago to my sister, who is a diabetic. So I'm running for organ donor awareness and for good exercise," Kessler said.
Dan Vassallo, of Massachusetts won the men's division with a time of 2:21:38 (h:m:s).
Mariska Kramer of the Netherlands won the women's division with 2:38:55, nearly 8 minutes faster than last year's winner.
The winner of the men's half marathon was Kiprotich Kirui, 25, of Kenya, covering the 13.1-mile course in a time of 1:04:02. Hirut Mandefro, 25, from Ethiopia, won the women's event in 1:17:52.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 14 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet 41 min ago
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
14 min ago