As "Boomers" age, Alzheimer's becomes a worry
CHERRY HILL, N.J. - November 30, 2010 (WPVI) -- The growing prevalence of Alzheimer's disease among the elderly has become an especially worrisome issue now that the first baby boomers are approaching age 65.
20 percent of the population will be seniors within the next two decades.
That's why Senior Helpers, a local in-home senior care provider, is helping families with innovative programs to help the elderly exercise their minds and bodies to stave off Alzheimer's.
85-year-old Laura Schultz has two caregivers who, on a daily basis, help keep her mind sharp.
Senior Helpers caregiver Peggy Mcilvane says "The card games help Laura's memory and stimulate her mind.."
It also helps to keep her physicall healthy.
Faye Carmichael of Senior Helpers says, "Laura has better stability after exercise and a better sense of motion when walking. It is a positive thing for her."
There is no cure in sight for Alzheimer's, but research has consistently proven that exercise for the body and mind are two of the best ways to prevent the onset and progression of the disease.
86-year-old Maude Lins suffers from dementia and has a live-in caregiver, who uses something as simple as photo albums to help stimulate her memory.
"We're really trying to educate famililes and their loved ones who are aging, especially the Alzheimer's and dementia clients because it's very tiring on the part of the primary caregiver and that is where we come in."
And just as the disease affects the whole family, Laura Schults' daughter will tell you so does Senior Helpers.
Arlene Schults says her mother's whole attitude has changed with Senior Helpers. "She is more positive," Schults said.For more information, visit the Senior Helpers website.
new jersey, alzheimer's disease, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Photos: Recent prostitution arrests in Philadelphia
- Clouds to sun, cool today 39 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 25 min ago
- Vice principal commits suicide after ferry accident 46 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter 54 min ago
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist 57 min ago
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape
- Driver killed in collision with taxi cab in...
50 min ago
- Firefighters battle 3-alarm blaze in...
47 min ago