As "Boomers" age, Alzheimer's becomes a worry
CHERRY HILL, N.J. - November 30, 2010 (WPVI) -- The growing prevalence of Alzheimer's disease among the elderly has become an especially worrisome issue now that the first baby boomers are approaching age 65.
20 percent of the population will be seniors within the next two decades.
That's why Senior Helpers, a local in-home senior care provider, is helping families with innovative programs to help the elderly exercise their minds and bodies to stave off Alzheimer's.
85-year-old Laura Schultz has two caregivers who, on a daily basis, help keep her mind sharp.
Senior Helpers caregiver Peggy Mcilvane says "The card games help Laura's memory and stimulate her mind.."
It also helps to keep her physicall healthy.
Faye Carmichael of Senior Helpers says, "Laura has better stability after exercise and a better sense of motion when walking. It is a positive thing for her."
There is no cure in sight for Alzheimer's, but research has consistently proven that exercise for the body and mind are two of the best ways to prevent the onset and progression of the disease.
86-year-old Maude Lins suffers from dementia and has a live-in caregiver, who uses something as simple as photo albums to help stimulate her memory.
"We're really trying to educate famililes and their loved ones who are aging, especially the Alzheimer's and dementia clients because it's very tiring on the part of the primary caregiver and that is where we come in."
And just as the disease affects the whole family, Laura Schults' daughter will tell you so does Senior Helpers.
Arlene Schults says her mother's whole attitude has changed with Senior Helpers. "She is more positive," Schults said.For more information, visit the Senior Helpers website.
new jersey, alzheimer's disease, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 58 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 56 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 19 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 35 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 40 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church 46 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 55 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to...
35 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
40 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila....
55 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
56 min ago