Victim wants her wheelchair back
DARBY, Pa. - December 9, 2010 (WPVI) -- It's safe to say that thieves don't normally give a lot of thought to the ramifications of their actions, but in Darby Borough, a victim of theft is hoping this is an exception.
These days Carmen Coursey is homebound, but not by choice.
"I can't go anywhere or do anything, I feel like a prisoner in my home again," Carmen said.
Back in April, the Darby Borough resident received an electric wheelchair from her insurance company to help her get around.
"I can't walk good so far, it's a big chore. I could just say, 'OK, I'm going to the store,' get in my chair and go," Carmen said.
It would be only a few months of freedom for a woman riddled with health problems.
On Monday night, she said she left the chair in front of her friend's home on North 6th Street to get someone to help her charge it up.
"It was maybe about 30 or 45 minutes and came back out and my chair was gone," Carmen said.
Immediately after, her friends went canvassing the neighborhood and the police were called.
"It wasn't around the corner, it wasn't in the alleyways, it's just completely gone," Carmen said.
Carmen says her insurance company Keystone Mercy has asked for the police report, but there are no guarantees she'll get a new chair.
In the meantime, she's hoping someone out there will have a heart and return her chair.
"Call the police and let me know it's on this corner and you can come and get it. That's all I ask for, just to get my freedom back," Carmen said.
pennsylvania, Darby, theft, delaware county, local/state, shirleen allicot
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 19 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean
- Truck overturns on Paoli Pike; 1 injury 7 min ago
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
19 min ago