Hunter shooting suspect to be arraigned Friday
RICHLAND TWP., Pa. - December 16, 2010 (WPVI) -- The Office of the Bucks County District Attorney says David Manilla will be arraigned Friday in the shooting of Barry Groh.
The arraignment is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
Manilla of Worcester is the focus of the investigation in the shooting death of the 52-year-old hunter of Quakertown on Nov 29th.
Manilla and his uncle, former Montgomery County District Attorney Mike Marino, were among the hunting party that stumbled upon the body lying in a creek which borders property owned by Manilla in Richland Township. Marino is not suspected of any wrongdoing.
Attorney Richard Winters told Action News Tuesday he is representing Manilla in the investigation and expected an announcement on Friday on what charges will be filed against his client.
At the time, Bucks County District Attorney David Heckler declined to name a suspect specifically, but said the person will either be charged with 3rd degree murder, involuntary manslaughter or hunting violations.
Manilla, a lawyer by trade, has previously been cited for careless hunting in the shooting and wounding of another hunter In Schuylkill County back in 1993.
He has also had other brushes with the law. In 1985, he was convicted of aggravated assault and related offenses for striking a guy over the head with a barbell outside a Norristown gym.
Last year, he was arrested for shoplifting in Hamburg, Pennsylvania. He was placed on probation and ordered to enter an anti-theft program.
According to investigators, prior to being shot, Groh killed a 175 pound nine-point deer then dragged it almost 300 yards to a spot near Tohickon creek.
He called his wife of 25 years, Theresa, to get their son to help carry the buck. However, by the time his 19-year-old son Justin arrived, Groh had been shot.
pennsylvania, bucks county, hunting, shooting, quakertown, local/state
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Wet to Wintry
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia 53 min ago
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen from home
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Arrest in theft of Porsche part from Walker crash
- Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
52 min ago