2 killed in NJ Turnpike crash, SB lanes blocked
RIDGEFIELD, N.J. (AP) - December 24, 2010 -- Two men were killed and four others were hurt early Friday in a five-vehicle crash on the New Jersey Turnpike.
The accident on the eastern spur in Ridgefield forced the closure of southbound lanes for about five hours, creating major travel delays.
State Police Sgt. Stephen Jones says the accident occurred around 6:40 a.m. when a minivan apparently struck some tire debris from a tractor-trailer truck.
The minivan's driver and a passenger, 63-year-old Samssondar Khamrhaj (SAM-sahn-der Ka-MARJ) of New York City, then got out to check for damage. Khamrhaj was then struck by a van driven by 40-year-old Francisco Martinez of North Bergen.
Martinez then got out of his van and was apparently struck by another vehicle. Both men were pronounced dead at the scene.
The injured were taken to Hackensack University Medical Center, but details on their conditions were not disclosed.
new jersey, accident, nj turnpike, local/state
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 40 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian killed in Collingdale hit-and-run 10 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing...
40 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos