Outage totals rise in northern Del.
DOVER, Del. - December 27, 2010 -- Strong wind gusts following a snowstorm are leading to thousands of power outages in northern Delaware and northeastern Maryland.
Delmarva Power reports that about 4,000 customers are without electricity in Cecil County, Md., and another 3,900 are in the dark in New Castle County, Del.
Delmarva Power spokeswoman Bridget Shelton says most of the outages in Cecil are resulting from a large tree that toppled onto a primary power line. She says most customers should have their power restored by later Monday afternoon, but she notes that there's always the potential for more outages as the wind gusts continue.
Delmarva Power reports only scattered outages in the rest of its service area in Delaware and Maryland's Eastern Shore.
Meanwhile, Delaware Acting Governor and Senate President Stephen M. Sweeney Monday evening rescinded the state of emergenc.
He released the following statement:
"I thank the countless men and women of the State Police, Office of Emergency Management, Department of Transportation and local public works and public safety departments statewide who have worked nonstop in response to this storm. And I thank the residents of New Jersey whose lives have been turned upside down for the past two days for their patience.
"While this storm hit us much worse than anticipated, the cleanup is well underway.
"Thanks to the diligent work of our many responders, I am rescinding the state of emergency. State offices will reopen at their regular time Tuesday morning to serve the residents of New Jersey.
"Even though the storm is now passed, it will be several days before we have totally cleaned up the mess left for us by Mother Nature. I encourage all residents to continue to use common sense and caution when venturing outdoors, as some roads may still be hard to navigate, temperatures will continue to hold below freezing and blowing snow will still be a concern."
delaware, severe weather, snow, nor'easter, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 5 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Fairy Godmothers make prom dreams come true
43 min ago