Pa. minister asks to open church, stop strip club
EAST STROUDSBURG, Pa. - December 30, 2010 -- A northeastern Pennsylvania minister who lives next door to the site of a proposed strip club is hoping prayers will save the day.
The Rev. Frank Pons has applied for a permit to start a church in his Middle Smithfield garage.
That's right next to the property where New Jersey developer Daniel Russo plans a nude dance club.
Local zoning says an adult facility must have a 1,000-foot separation from the property of any place of worship, library, park, school or day care center.
Pons is cleaning out his garage, which has capacity for about 20 chairs, and working to make his bathroom handicapped accessible.
The church will be named after Pons' congregation in Pen Argyl, the Pentecostal Christian Church of the Truth.
Information from: Pocono Record
pennsylvania, monroe county, local/state
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry