Pa. minister asks to open church, stop strip club
EAST STROUDSBURG, Pa. - December 30, 2010 -- A northeastern Pennsylvania minister who lives next door to the site of a proposed strip club is hoping prayers will save the day.
The Rev. Frank Pons has applied for a permit to start a church in his Middle Smithfield garage.
That's right next to the property where New Jersey developer Daniel Russo plans a nude dance club.
Local zoning says an adult facility must have a 1,000-foot separation from the property of any place of worship, library, park, school or day care center.
Pons is cleaning out his garage, which has capacity for about 20 chairs, and working to make his bathroom handicapped accessible.
The church will be named after Pons' congregation in Pen Argyl, the Pentecostal Christian Church of the Truth.
Information from: Pocono Record
pennsylvania, monroe county, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 1 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton 32 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ