Victim of fiery Blue Route crash thanks rescuer
PERKIOMENVILLE, Pa. - January 4, 2011 (WPVI) -- The victim of last week's fiery crash on the Blue Route in Radnor Township was able to speak to one of his rescuers today.
71-year-old Wayne Cherry, the Salford, Pa. motorist who survived the one-car smashup, doesn't remember anything from the time he suddenly passed out to when he woke up in a hospital.
"Don't remember any fire, any collision with the car, or anything," he said.
Last Tuesday at around 11:00 a.m., Cherry was driving south to Virginia in his 10-year-old Subaru Legacy to visit his son when he lost consciousness, crossed into the northbound lanes, hit the fender of a second car, then struck a tree at the top of the embankment.
The crash caused Cherry to lose consciousness and he was trapped in a smoldering car.
"I can't believe that I actually made it through that car, the car is nothing, it's just totally gutted," Cherry said.
Up to 10 good Samaritans stopped to render assistance.
Among them was off-duty Springfield Policeman Jeff Shull, who with his brother-in-law broke out the window and pulled Cherry to safety.
Back home with his family, with only a few bruises, Cherry spoke by speakerphone to Officer Shull.
"I really want to say thank you, not only for me, but my three children, my 13 grandchildren," Cherry said.
"You're quite welcome; it's amazing that nobody was hurt or [that there wasn't] a bigger accident," Shull said via phone.
Wayne Cherry is still undergoing medical tests, but so far his doctors cannot explain what happened to him. He hopes to be cleared to drive again soon.
Cherry is keeping his charred luggage as a reminder of the inferno and the folks who saved him.
"I was really lucky somebody was out there and had the presence of mind and the training to do something like that," Cherry said.
pennsylvania, montgomery county, blue route, accident, local/state, vernon odom
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured 3 min ago
- Record Weekend Warmth 38 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's 2 min ago
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty 33 min ago
- Arsonist tries to torch atheist billboard in NJ
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp. 31 min ago
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings 23 min ago
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Uwchlan Twp. man arrested following...
1 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos