NJ man kills self with police nearby
TOMS RIVER, N.J. (AP) - January 7, 2011 -- A 53-year-old motorist who had just passed a roadside sobriety test shot and killed himself Thursday night as police officers stood nearby.
Toms River Police Chief Michael Mastronardy says the man, whose identity was not released, struck a utility pole at an intersection around 8:30 p.m.
Police responded and conducted a sobriety test, which the man passed.
While waiting for a tow truck to arrive, Mastronardy says the man asked to retrieve some belongings from his car. Officers allowed it, and then heard a shot.
Mastronardy says the man was calm and cooperative and gave no indication that something was wrong.
The man was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.
Information from: The Star-Ledger, http://www.nj.com/starledger
new jersey, toms river, DUI, suicide, local/state
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 9 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
9 min ago
- Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
8 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos