New development in mysterious death of John Wheeler
NEW CASTLE, Del. - January 14, 2011 (WPVI) -- New details continue to emerge about the mysterious death of a former White House advisor from Delaware.
Investigators have been trying to figure out John Wheeler's strange behavior in the days before he died. An e-mail he sent out just a few weeks ago about this house under construction, may offer some insight.
"He was very vigorous in his opposition and was very critical of the parties involved including myself," said Mayor John Klingmeyer.
Mayor Klingmeyer is among those who've felt the wrath of John Wheeler. He has sued the town and the owners of the property across the street from his Delaware home, claiming the construction was illegally approved after a 13 year long battle.
Wheeler sent an e-mail to friends and neighbors just before Christmas.In it, he vents his growing anger over the new house, that it blocks his view of the river and Battery Park.
In the e-mail Wheeler wrote, "The core of Battery Park is dying, because as can now be seen, the huge mansion will dominate the site."
The deeply patriotic former White House aide goes on to say in the e-mail, "In the very large picture, over history and generations, our country counts on each locality to guard American heritage. Here, in this beloved place, we are failing in that duty."
"I think it became a major distraction for him, really. It became for him something very compulsive," said Mayor Klingmeyer.
At one point, the mayor had to publicly deny a claim by Wheeler that he had a personal relationship with Regina Marini, the property owner.
In his e-mail Wheeler says, "This started when Ms. Marini had her husband illegally knock down the existing historic house. Then Ms. Marini had all the big trees torn down illegally. Ms. Marini just knocked down whatever was in her way."
Wheeler blames the mayor and the town for not stopping her.
Sources confirm that police are looking into the possibility that Wheeler tried to burn down the house on December 28th.
That was the day before he showed up lost and confused in Wilmington looking for his car, and three days before his body was found in the landfill.
delaware, new castle county, john wheeler, local/state
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 48 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
48 min ago