Philly MLK holiday effort aims at digital divide
PHILADELPHIA - January 17, 2011 (WPVI) -- Hundreds of volunteers spent the Martin Luther King, Jr. "day of service" helping Philadelphia residents bridge the digital divide.
They gathered to refurbish computers at the Armory at Girard College in North Philadelphia on Monday as part of the 16th Annual Greater Philadelphia Martin Luther King Day of Service.
"The computer is your passport, not only to the future but to knowing what's going around you," Mayor Michael Nutter said.
"Dr. King, he gave us the opportunity to, in this country, be together and work together so I figure I should give back," said volunteer Cordell Boyd. "It feels good."
The effort was part of the $25 million federally funded Freedom Rings Partnership, which aims to deliver 5,000 computers over the next few years to people in the city, where four out of ten Philadelphians don't have Internet access.
Without it, access to many jobs, education and social services is limited.
"So that everyone has an equal opportunity to apply for a job online, apply to a college, and get emergency preparedness information," said organizer Todd Bernstein.
The mayor even tried his hand at refurbishing a computer himself, but wasn't too confident in his efforts.
"It'll be a couple of years before I'm fixing your computer," Nutter said.
Dozens of events were also being held at public schools throughout the region.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- 1 death reported in East Harlem building explosion 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: Raw video from scene of NYC explosion 19 min ago
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars 41 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station...
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- Carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 1 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Raw video from scene of NYC explosion
19 min ago
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak...
57 min ago
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New...
53 min ago