Texter who tumbled into fountain upset over video
READING, Pa. - January 20, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Pennsylvania woman is questioning the professionalism of mall security workers after a video of her tumbling into a mall fountain while texting went viral.
Cathy Cruz Marrero, who works at the Berkshire Mall in Wyomissing, says she is that woman and is mortified millions are laughing at her plight
She told her husband, "I said, 'They got me on YouTube when I went to work.' I saw how they laughed and the comments that they made, I didn't think that was funny," Marrero said.
The video shows Marrero, oblivious to the looming fountain, tripping over the edge and falling into the water. She quickly gathers her bag and dropped cell phone and walks away.
Marrero is upset mall security allowed someone to leak the video and did not come to her aid.
"I admit it was funny, but nobody took my feelings into consideration," Marrero told Good Morning America Thursday.
She appeared on Good Morning America today with her attorney. He maintains she does not want money, only answers.
"We intend to hold all responsible parties accountable, whether that means requesting or demanding an apology, certainly requesting an explanation for why this happened, how it happened," attorney James Polyak said.
Later, Marrero became unavailable when it was learned she was in court today. She has pleaded not guilty to five felony counts involving $5,000 charged to someone else's credit accounts in 2007.
The fountain video is still the talk of the town.
At Tina's Day Salon, the question was why did Marrero opt to go public?
"Nobody knew really knew who she was, except maybe the people at the mall," Don Zauck of Sinking Spring said.
"She outed herself because nobody knew who it is, you can't make out even if it's a man or a woman in the video," Theresa Violette of Reading said.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
Watch the original video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWtDpGM36J8
reading, pennsylvania, youtube, local/state
- Mourning NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
- Stormy to spectacular
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Storms bring floods to the Jersey shore
- Video: Incredible footage of wrong-way bus crash
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Tire dumping probe targets Wilmington shop
- Teacher charged again for indecent exposure
- Construction worker killed on way to job
- US: Unruly traveler had worked at State Department
- $325,000 Cash 5 ticket sold in Philadelphia
- Phillies activate Carlos Ruiz from disabled list