Friends and family celebrate Elaine Goldberg
PHILADELPHIA - January 22, 2011 (WPVI) -- People are gathered in Oxford Circle Saturday night to remember a woman whose life was cut tragically short.
Elaine Goldberg struggled with drugs, and she was the first victim of the Kensington strangler.
The final touches were completed in the school gym at Saint Martin of Tours in Oxford Circle for Saturday night's benefit in honor of Elaine Goldberg.
Balloon arches, a nod to her prom committee days and banners were made to show different parts of her life.
"The banners each symbolize different parts of Elaine's life. We have where she went to pre-school, and then we have Girl Scouts, each representing different parts of her life," said Elaine's sister Careen Goldberg.
The event is a celebration of Goldberg's 21 years before her life was cut short by the Kensington Strangler.
DNA evidence linked her murder to Antonio Rodrguez, who police say confessed to killing Goldberg and two other women.
But the focus for Saturday night's celebration was on happier times, and the many family and friends who love her and miss her every day.
"Elaine's got a ton of friends, and they've all been dying to come up with something that they could do so that they felt like they were doing something in her honor," said Elaine's father Joe Goldberg.
"We're celebrating Elaine, and everybody's coming out and showing their support, and how much they loved Elaine. And it's just really overwhelming at how many people have donated things, and like wow," expressed Elaine's mother Darrah Goldberg.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, kensington strangler, local/state, katherine scott
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 25 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
25 min ago