No snowstorm can stop the Philly Auto Show
CENTER CITY - January 27, 2011 (WPVI) -- Despite the massive storm that clobbered the area Wednesday, there has been an incredible transformation at the Pennsylvania Convention Center, where an army of workers has been on the job around the clock.
However, to say it's been madness at the Convention Center is an understatement.
"Not only is it madness, but then you throw a foot of snow on top of it, I think it goes from madness to crazy plus madness," Auto Show Director Mike Gempp said.
One group of workers who had been on the job since 6:00 a.m. Thursday moved out around 9:00 p.m. and another army moved in to steam clean several miles of carpet in time for media day tomorrow at 8:30 a.m.
This year's Philadelphia Auto Show is highlighting vehicles with a focus on technology and miles per gallon especially at a time when gas prices are going through the roof. You'll see electric cars like the Chevy Volt and the Nissan Leaf to gasoline-electric hybrids like the 2012 Buick LaCrosse with eAssist, to a wide array of muscle cars like the 2012 Ford Mustang Boss.
"It's not so much a car choice, but a propulsion choice in the sense of miles per gallon. So you have diesel, you have hybrid, you have 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, 8 cylinder engines, you have deactivation in some of these cylinders to make them more fuel efficient," Kevin Mazzucola of the Auto Dealers Association of Greater Philadelphia said.
And then of course, there is a wide assortment of very expensive sports cars like the Aston Martin Rapide to incredible luxury cars like the 2012 Bentley.
Of course, the car I'd like to go home with is the most expensive one in the lot. The Rolls Royse Phantom Drop Head Coupe with a sticker price of $490,555.
"It's something for everybody, You have the party cars, you have Lamborghinis, you have everything for everybody here at the show," Mazzucola said.
The show kicks off with a Black Tie Gala Friday night and opens to the public on Saturday and continues for 9 days.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, automobiles, philadelphia auto show, local/state, dann cuellar
- Photos: Recent prostitution arrests in Philadelphia 47 min ago
- Clouds to sun, cool today 19 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Vice principal commits suicide after ferry accident 26 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter 34 min ago
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist 37 min ago
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape
- Driver killed in collision with taxi cab in...
30 min ago
- Firefighters battle 3-alarm blaze in...
27 min ago