Pa. man gets prison for stabbing victim on toilet
EASTON, Pa. (AP) - February 1, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Pennsylvania man has been ordered to spend at least six years in prison for stabbing another man as the defenseless victim sat on a toilet.
Philip Mark Gimpert had pleaded guilty to aggravated assault in December in the stabbing of his sister's boyfriend, Juan Cruz. Authorities say Cruz was in the upstairs bathroom at Gimpert's mother's home in Bethlehem when Gimpert attacked him last March.
At Friday's sentencing, Gimpert said he'd attacked Cruz over an earlier fight. Gimpert's lawyer told Judge Stephen Baratta his client was remorseful but Gimpert told the court he was sorry he's in jail.
Baratta said Gimpert wasn't acting in self-defense but waited a time the victim would be defenseless.
Prosecutors say Cruz escaped serious injury by fending off the attack with his arm.
pennsylvania, easton, northampton county, stabbing, local/state
- Hit and run victim found near Wilmington road 54 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler 35 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th 44 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Police question suspect in Christmas package theft 37 min ago
- Reward offered after dogs found in trash bags
- Charges filed in alleged chop shop raid in N. Phila. 38 min ago
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash
- Hit and run victim found near Wilmington road
54 min ago
- Police question suspect in Christmas...
37 min ago