7 teens arrested for Upper Darby bullying in court
MEDIA, Pa. - February 1, 2011 (WPVI) -- Seven teenagers accused of bullying, and beating, a 13-year-old boy appeared in juvenile court on Wednesday morning.
One of the attackers recorded the assault on a cell phone.
The juveniles, charged with felonies of kidnapping and aggravated assault, could be incarcerated until they are 21.
The family of the youngest suspect, 14-years-old, who was arrested yesterday has already hired a lawyer.
"I've seen as much video as everybody else and all I see is blurs, so I can't say, what of anything, my client may have done, if he was an active participant or if he was merely an observer," lawyer Geoffrey Seay said.
The adult cousin of a 17-year-old accused in the beating shared his thoughts.
"He's a great kid&[he got into] the wrong crowd, that's all," the cousin said.
The aunt of another suspect spoke out about Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood.
"Mr. Chitwood does have a rather bulldoggish approach, however, we'll wait and see what happens," the aunt said.
All 7 defendants remain in Delaware County's Juvenile Detention Center in Lima. They'll be back in court on February 10th after a series of psychological evaluations and what are called risk assessments.
pennsylvania, delaware county, bullying, local/state
- Armored car robbed outside bank in Tacony 32 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today 17 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police investigate serious crash in Levittown 15 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Photos: Pictures from Del. River minivan plunge
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
17 min ago