No public defender for doctor in abortion case
PHILADELPHIA - February 4, 2011 (WPVI) -- Dr. Kermit Gosnell, the man accused in the murders of seven newborn infants and a woman at a clinic that allegedly provided illegal late-term abortions, was back in court on Friday.
The judge in the case ordered Gosnell, and his wife, to be brought from jail to explain why they had not yet retained legal representation.
The couple faces a hearing on Wednesday on a motion to expedite the case against them.
The couple told the judge they were "close to destitute" and could not afford lawyers. The judge dismissed that argument, saying Gosnell still had assets he could liquidate.
Gosnell then said he did not want to liquidate properties because he had to provide for his teen daughter. The judge countered by pointing out that Gosnell had other, grown, children who could provide for the girl.
The judge went on the stress the importance of getting an attorney, noting the District Attorney's office is deciding whether to seek the death penalty.
Gosnell's previous attorney only agreed to represent him during the grand jury probe.
Along with the Gosnells, eight other employees of their clinic in the 3800 block of Lancaster Avenue in West Philadelphia were arrested last month.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, west philadelphia, abortion, ed rendell, dr. kermit gosnell, local/state
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- Stranded family found alive in Nevada 21 min ago
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia 28 min ago
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial 28 min ago
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Video: Prankster glues woman to Home Depot toilet 20 min ago
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela...
28 min ago
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
28 min ago
- Woman stabbed to death in Germantown
31 min ago