Winner by a wing!
PHILADELPHIA - February 4, 2011 (WPVI) -- It all came down to one wing at the annual Pre-Super Bowl Wing Bowl.
Wing bowl 19 brought a sold-out crowd of thousands to South Philadelphia to watch the pre-dawn, chicken wing chomp-down.
The gala of gluttony got underway, and soon the saucy spit started flying.
27 men downed wing after wing, and the Wingettes helped keep the hot wings coming.
"It's crazy. I love it, though," said Lauren Martin. "I love the crazy, it's awesome."
Professional eater Takeru Kobiyashi made a special appearance and awed them all when he beat the unofficial cheesesteak-eating record of 48 seconds in half the time.
By the final round, the wing-eating war became a battle between two icons of eating.
Five time winner, El Wingador was going wing for wing with the two-time defending champ, Super Squibb, but in the end Squibb was the winner consuming a whopping 255 wings, just one more than Wingador.
"He reminds me a lot of myself. I did train him a little bit, so it felt like I was mirroring myself eating against him. But I knew I had my work cut out for me with him next to me," said Bill "El Wingador" Simmons.
"I was like competing against my hero. He is what I aspire to be, he won five times. This is my third, so it's like surreal, surreal. I am on top of the world, right now," said John "Super Squibb."
Now back to the real world for the South Jersey CPA. He takes home the $20,000 grand prize, but goes back to work tomorrow.
"Celebrate tonight, then salad and a lot of fiber, a lot of Metamucil, yeah," said Squibb.
El Wingador says he is done, this is it for him. At age 49, there will be no more Wing Bowl competitions for him.
Super Squibb says he'll be back seeking an impressive 4th consecutive Wing Bowl win.
south philadelphia, wing bowl, pennsylvania, philadelphia, local/state, sarah bloomquist
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- March Madness: Villanova, St. Joe's, UDel all in
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids