Suit: Pa. Catholic leaders failed to protect kids
PHILADELPHIA - February 14, 2011 (WPVI) -- A former Catholic school student has sued the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, saying clergy covered up sexual assault allegations against two priests who molested him in the 1990s.
According to the lawsuit filed Monday in Philadelphia's Court of Common Pleas, the plaintiff, now 28-years-old, was assaulted by Seminarian Martin Satchell while a was second and third grader at St. Aloysius Academy in Bryn Mawr and by Father Richard Cochrane at Malvern Prep.
The lawsuit says Satchell was later ordained as a priest, but has since been defrocked and Cochrane was convicted of sexually assaulting another student.
The suit names Cardinal Justin Rigali and his predecessor, Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua.
"And we're charging conspiracy and fraudulent concealment on the part of the hierarchy," Marci Hamilton, the victim's attorney, said.
The suit follows criminal charges filed last week against three priests and a high-ranking archdiocese official accused of failing to protect children from predator priests.
The church had no comment on today's lawsuit.
child sex assault, philadelphia, pennsylvania, philadelphia archdiocese, local/state
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet 15 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 8 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets 57 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act