CB East teacher defends blog posts
DOYLESTOWN, Pa. - February 15, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Pennsylvania teacher suspended from her job over profanity-laced posts on her blog says she was speaking the truth about students who are unwilling to work hard at school.
30-year-old English teacher Natalie Munroe makes no apologies for some of the comments she's made on her blog about students, coworkers and the administration at Central Bucks High School East.
RELATED: InterAction: Is teacher blogging appropriate? - Let us know what you think!
"I'm not sorry that the truth is out there. The kids don't want to hear negative things about themselves," Munroe said.
Controversy erupted last week when students found and reposted Munroe's blog where she didn't name names, but referred to some kids as "rude, lazy, disengaged whiners." She also wrote she wished on the comment section of report cards there was a way to describe a student as a "grade-grubber with an unrealistically high perception of own ability."
Munroe says instead of being angry, some students and parents should look in the mirror.
"[They say] 'it couldn't be in this area, not these kids, not my kid.' Some people who think they have wonderful kids have kids who come to school and bully other people or are very rude and disrespectful," Munroe said.
Munroe, who's 8-and-a-half months pregnant, was suspended last Wednesday with pay. What will happen next is unclear, but the school district has said she could be dismissed.
Munroe's attorney Steve Rovner says she can't be fired because she didn't do anything wrong.
"They don't have a blogging policy. She didn't do anything that was immoral or unethical," Rovner said.
"Just because I'm a teacher doesn't mean that I'm not a human being and it doesn't mean I check my rights at the door," Munroe said.
school, doylestown, bucks county, pennsylvania, local/state
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death 52 min ago
- Warm and humid, 80s again today 35 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released 56 min ago
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers
- 1 dead, 2 injured in 'barbaric' London attack 21 min ago
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- D.A.: Girlfriend's murder in Chesco 'an execution'
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
56 min ago