CB East teacher defends blog posts
DOYLESTOWN, Pa. - February 15, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Pennsylvania teacher suspended from her job over profanity-laced posts on her blog says she was speaking the truth about students who are unwilling to work hard at school.
30-year-old English teacher Natalie Munroe makes no apologies for some of the comments she's made on her blog about students, coworkers and the administration at Central Bucks High School East.
RELATED: InterAction: Is teacher blogging appropriate? - Let us know what you think!
"I'm not sorry that the truth is out there. The kids don't want to hear negative things about themselves," Munroe said.
Controversy erupted last week when students found and reposted Munroe's blog where she didn't name names, but referred to some kids as "rude, lazy, disengaged whiners." She also wrote she wished on the comment section of report cards there was a way to describe a student as a "grade-grubber with an unrealistically high perception of own ability."
Munroe says instead of being angry, some students and parents should look in the mirror.
"[They say] 'it couldn't be in this area, not these kids, not my kid.' Some people who think they have wonderful kids have kids who come to school and bully other people or are very rude and disrespectful," Munroe said.
Munroe, who's 8-and-a-half months pregnant, was suspended last Wednesday with pay. What will happen next is unclear, but the school district has said she could be dismissed.
Munroe's attorney Steve Rovner says she can't be fired because she didn't do anything wrong.
"They don't have a blogging policy. She didn't do anything that was immoral or unethical," Rovner said.
"Just because I'm a teacher doesn't mean that I'm not a human being and it doesn't mean I check my rights at the door," Munroe said.
school, doylestown, bucks county, pennsylvania, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 31 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 35 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Woman's body found in Berks County
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody! 23 min ago
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
17 min ago