Reading, Pa. burn victim returns to school
READING, Pa. - FEBRUARY 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- 12-year-old Jaylynn McCracken returned to school today for the first time since she suffered a terrible accident in December.
Officials at the Northeast Middle School arranged a special re-introduction to help ease the transition. The lesson on burn awareness featured a living example, as Jaylynn stood before her schoolmates to share her painful story.
"I was in the kitchen playing with my sister and my mom had oil on the stove," she told the students. "I slipped, and the oil bounced off the stove and splashed on my face and my chest."
And now Jaylynn has to live with a visible reminder of what happened that day. She built up the courage to show her classmates her scars during today's assembly, and answer any questions they had.
"I was so nervous," she said afterward. "It's like you talk to all these people, a whole bunch of people."
Officials from the Lehigh Valley Health Network's Regional Burn Center, where Jaylynn received skin grafts for her face and chest, helped her along as part of their school re-entry program.
"If it leaves a physical scar it can be that much harder to go back to school," said Matthew Burns. "What this program does, is help re-introduce Jaylynn."
It will take years for Jaylynn's burns to heal completely, and she will still live with the scars. She told Action News hopes her testimony will prevent what happened to her from happening to someone else.
pennsylvania, health care, school, reading, berks county, local/state, shirleen allicot
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting 42 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- Video: Dying dog in Canada has bucket list
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting
42 min ago
- Fire damages corner store in North Phila.
45 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos