Street says PHA members will not resign
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - February 26, 2011 (WPVI) -- The chairman of the board of the embattled Philadelphia Housing Authority says members will not be resigning as the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has requested.
Chairman and former mayor John F. Street said in a corrected e-mail message Saturday that he has spoken to each of the five members and they will "fully cooperate" with HUD but feel resigning is "unwarranted." An earlier version of the statement had indicated that they would resign.
HUD Deputy Secretary Ron Sims called for the board to resign Friday, saying there was a need restore confidence and protect funding after the firing of longtime executive director Carl R. Greene and ensuing federal investigations. The board said Greene used about $900,000 in public money to settle a series of sexual harassment allegations.
Street also gave notice of a special PHA meeting called for Friday morning where he says there will be additional comments on the matter
Action News has obtained the most recent e-mail sent by John F. Street and it reads:
Philadelphia Housing Authority Chairman of the Board of Commissioners John F. Street responds to HUD asking for resignation of PHA Board of Commissioners.
"I have spoken to each member of the Board and we will not resign in response to the HUD press release. We share HUD's interest in improving PHA's operations and we stand ready to fully cooperate with HUD as we have done in the past. However, we feel resigning is unwarranted.
Notice of meeting
A special meeting of the Philadelphia Housing Authority board will be held Friday, March 4, 2011 at 10AM to offer additional comments on this matter."
In an earlier version of the statement obtained by Action News, the word "not" was omitted.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, carl greene, philadelphia housing authority, john f. street, local/state
- Robbery suspect sought, Villanova U. locked down 5 min ago
- Splendid spring finale
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Crackdown on illegal street vendors in W. Phila. 13 min ago
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- Viewer takes photos of bear in back yard 47 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer 18 min ago
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids 52 min ago
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- Father, son 'pimps' acquitted after prostitutes testify
- Suspect robs Philadelphia Dunkin' Donuts at gunpoint 33 min ago
- Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL] 54 min ago
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
52 min ago
- 2 sought for stealing pills in Gloucester...
51 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman...
18 min ago
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
54 min ago